Sunday, February 27, 2011

Tofu and Black Bean Chili

In the winter, there is nothing I love more than a big bowl of hot chili. Here is my recipe for Tofu and Black Bean Chili. I made a vegetarian version, because I had a package of tofu that I needed to use. But, feel free to swap out the tofu with ground beef or ground turkey. When it comes to the beans I personally prefer black beans or pinto beans, but you can probably add kidney beans if that's your preference. You can adjust the seasoning as much as you want to make it as spicy or mild as you wish.

Ingredients:
olive oil
1/2 large onion, diced
1 14-ounce package of extra firm tofu, diced
1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
1 1/2 tablespoons cumin
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
salt
pepper
1 can (15 ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes
water
optional toppings: cheese, sour cream, chives, onions, etc.

Directions:
1. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, saute onions in a good splash of olive oil until the onions begin to soften. Add the tofu and saute with the onions for 5-10 minutes.

2. Add the chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, crushed red pepper, salt, and pepper. Toss with the tofu and onions.

3. Add the black beans and tomatoes and stir everything together. Add as much water as you like. I like my chili on the watery/soupy side, so I tend to add more water. If you like your chili thicker, add less water. Taste and adjust seasoning as necessary.

4. Bring chili to a boil then cover and reduce heat to low. Let the chili simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 30-45 minutes.

5. Serve and top with your favorite toppings.

No comments: