Sunday, February 13, 2011

Tofu Fajitas

I'm not a vegetarian or a vegan; I'm an omnivore. But I have a lot of friends who are vegetarian and a few friends who are vegan, so I consider myself fairly informed and very open-minded on the subject. Among my many other cooking adventures and experiments, one of my latest tests is to see if I can put a vegetarian twist on some of my favorite dishes. I love Fajitas, so I thought I'd make them vegetarian by replacing the chicken or beef with tofu. This dish is also made simpler and easier by using a prepackaged seasoning mix.

Ingredients:
1 14-ounce package extra-firm tofu, cut into strips
1 large onion, sliced
2 medium red or orange bell peppers, seeds and ribs removed, cut in strips
4 tablespoons olive oil, and more as needed
1 package McCormick Fajita Seasoning Mix
1/4 cup water, and more as needed
Flour tortillas
Optional toppings: shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, salsa, guacamole, etc.

Directions:
1. Drain the tofu and slice lengthwise in 1/2-inch slices. You should be able to get about 6 slices. If desired, press tofu for 30 to 40 minutes (see Pressing Tofu tip below). Cut sliced tofu into strips. You should be able to get about 4 strips per slice.

2. Heat 2 non-stick skillets on medium heat with olive oil. About 2 tablespoons in each pan should do. Place tofu in one pan and the onions and peppers in the other pan. Toss each to coat the tofu and onions and peppers evenly in the oil. If the pans seem too dry, add more oil as needed. Cook each for 3 to 5 minutes, tossing each mixture occasionally.

3. Add half of the fajita seasoning mix with the tofu and the other half with the onions and peppers. Toss to coat evenly. Add water to the pan with the onions and pepper. Continue cooking, tossing occasionally, about 3 to 5 minutes or until tofu starts to look golden and onions and peppers start to soften.

4. Add tofu to onions and peppers and toss everything together. Reduce heat to low and let simmer for another 5 minutes, tossing occasionally. If the pan seems too dry, add a bit more water.

5. Serve in tortillas and topped with any toppings of your choice.




Pressing Tofu: A lot of recipes in many cookbooks call for pressing tofu. Tofu is often packed in water and it retains a lot of that moisture. When you press the tofu and release some of the moisture, the tofu can then absorb more flavor. My mom cooked many dishes with tofu and I don't think she ever pressed her tofu, and every dish turned out just fine and full of flavor. But here I'll add pressing tofu as an optional step whenever I use it. Here is what I do for this particular recipe.

Place 2 or 3 sheets of paper towel on a baking sheet and place tofu slices on the paper towel. Put another 2 or 3 sheets of paper towel on top of the tofu slices, place another baking sheet on top of the tofu and paper towel layer, and weigh down the top baking sheet with a few cans of soup, veggies, or whatever.

No comments: