Sunday, February 13, 2011

Spaghetti with Cherry Tomatoes, Spinach, and Other Yummy Stuff

I once stumbled upon a recipe for Cherry Tomato Pine Nut Spaghetti at Vintage Victuals. Just from the pictures alone, the dish looked yummy, so I was determined to try it out.

For the most part, I followed the recipe fairly closely and improvised when I had to. Instead of panko breadcrumbs, I just had plain breadcrumbs on hand. I didn't have Italian seasoning, so I just used oregano and basil. I altered the measurements on somethings and other things I didn't measure at all.

Here is my recipe, inspired by Vintage Victuals.

Ingredients:
1/3 cup pine nuts
1/4 cup plain breadcrumbs
garlic powder
olive oil - I just splash it in and don't measure it
1 tub (10.5 oz.) cherry tomatoes
2 cloves of garlic, sliced
dried oregano
dried basil
salt and pepper
whole wheat spaghetti
1-2 handfuls baby spinach
feta cheese, crumbled
Parmesan cheese

Directions:
1. Toast pine nuts in a dry, non-stick skillet on low heat until fragrant.

2. In a large skillet on medium heat, add the breadcrumbs, garlic powder, and a splash of olive oil. Toss together until the breadcrumbs are lightly toasted. Set aside.

3. In the same skillet, add another good splash of olive oil. Add the cherry tomatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes start to get wrinkly and release a little bit of their juice.


4. Add the garlic, oregano, basil, salt, and pepper. Add a smidge more olive oil if you think the mixture and pan might be a bit too dry. Reduce the heat to low, and let the tomato mixture simmer.

5. Cook the spaghetti according to package directions.

6. When the spaghetti has about 4-5 more minutes of cooking time, add the spinach to the tomato mixture and toss gently. We just want to warm and wilt the spinach. By this time the tomatoes might get fragile and might squish or break apart. This is OK because they'll release more juice.


7. When spaghetti has finished cooking, reserve a few cups of the pasta water in case you need to thin out the pasta later. (I didn't do this when I made the dish tonight but wish I had and that's why I'm adding the instruction here.) Drain the spaghetti and add it to the tomatoes and spinach. Add the breadcrumbs, toasted pine nuts, and feta cheese, and toss the whole thing together. If you think the dish looks a little too dry, gradually add the reserved pasta liquid until it looks or feels right to you. (Yes, I realize that these are vague directions, but, for me, my cooking methods are often based on look, feel, and smell. It's not sophisticated, but somehow it works.)

8. Dish it out and top with Parmesan cheese.


I realize that these aren't the greatest photos and the last one especially is a smidge blurry. But, trust me, the dish tasted wonderful!

No comments: